I have been doing quite a bit of research on Nook Color and how it can be used in the classroom. I see several advantages. Here are the main things I like about it so far:
1. Low cost - Nooks cost about $250. That is about half as much as iPad. That means twice as many students can have daily access to one.
2. Nooks have a web browser with WiFi access. And they have Flash. This means that students can access all Web 2.0 tools including twitter, blogs, wiki's, survey monkey, google docs, email, web-based applications, and online textbooks.
3. And of course, you have the ability to download eBooks. Barnes and Noble is a huge supplier of eBooks and they are sharable (or so I've read). Nice easy way to do literature groups.
4. There is a limited app store available. Not sure how applicable this would be to education. I've seen a drawing app that looked very good.
So what do you give up?
1. Video and photo usage. This could be a big thing... Unless you have access to separate digital cameras.
2. What else???
If you have a Nook Color or iPad and can add to this list on either the pro or con side, I'd love to hear about it. Also if you know of any schools using the Nooks, let me know!